12.18.2008

Year End Review: The Innernet

Ho! It's that time of year again! Time for everyone and their Mom to do a year-end countdown of their favourite people, movies, sandwiches (mine is a BLT) et al. And just like last year, I'll be counting down a few things that were running my life over the past 12 months. The 2007 Best Of began with my favourite YouTube parody videos, but sadly - this is a category I don't have for 2008. I know, but honestly? I gotta keep it fresh for you people (otherwise, the hate mail I get...sheesh). Anyways, this year I'm starting with...
13 FAVOURITE WEBSITES OF 2008

13. Cake Wrecks
I wish I had thought of this blog. Sidebar, this woman just got a book deal. Are we not screening book deals anymore?? What the hell?

12. Wikipedia
I know that this might be an odd choice, but I spend a good deal of my day looking up trivia. Add that to the list of 1000 Reasons I'll Probably Die with My Cats. (Kidding, I don't have any cats. I'll die alone)

11. Fail Blog
Leave it to my new roomates to introduce me to something I should have already known about. My only wish is that Fail Blog updated 30 times a day.

10. The AV Club
If there was any group of people I am really, truly jealous of, it's Noel Murray, Keith Phipps, Nathan Rabin, Tasha Robinson, Scott Tobias. They are all 100% smarter than you. Just give up, k?

9. Street Carnage
VICE was cool. Then Gavin McInnes left. Then VICE got a little less cool. Then Viacom bought VICE. Now VICE has a titch of the corporate sleazeball to it. Then Gavin took his name off the masthead (ooh, diss!). Now Gavin has Street Carnage, which is what Viceland should be (but never will be).

8. Ghost of the Doll
This one is for my friend Marina, who had like, 99% of the toys featured on this website. Click on any of the names, and you'll be transported back to your childhood. It will also bring up horrible memories of dissapointing Christmasses. Why did Santa never bring me a Watchimal?!?!?

7. Four Four
I am in love with Rich Juzwiak.

6. Jezebel
I used to read Bitch, but I find it really judge-y sometimes. So then I moved on to Bust (which used to be edited by Tracie Egan) which was okay, but it got a little too Nylon at times. I have finally found a great medium in Jezebel, plus on Fridays they air this thing which I don't want to say cause once I talk about stuff it becomes too popular and then I don't like it anymore because it starts to pander to it's 'new' audience of idiots and mouth breathers. Lauren J, you know what I'm talking about. Anyways, it's awesome (even if Tracie is becoming a bit boring).

5. LOL cats
Yes, they jumped the shark months ago; it doesn't make them any less adorable. I mean, I don't think they're the bee's fucking knees or anything, but LOL cats make me smile when I have a shit day.

4. Cracked
I believe Cracked was on the list last year as well. I'd also say that last year they were batting 1000 (is that even the right phrase?) Anyways, 1/2 the articles are a little boring (because they are letting anyone and their mom write for them) but that other 1/2 are fucking hilarious. And strangely very informative, too.

3. Facebook
I hate Facebook. I really do. But it doesn't mean I don't check it 300 times a day.

2. Shiba Inu Puppy Cam
I will say this right now - my Mother will kill me for not putting the Shiba Inu 6 at the Number 1 spot. I can already see her making a screw face and yelling at her computer going "Dlisted is just garbage!! Puppy Cam is the reason the Internet was invented!" I need to stress that it was a very tough decision, because the Shiba Inu 6 ruled my life. Like, I would lie in bed in the morning and think I just don't wanna do it today. I don't wanna get out of bed. And then I would think about watching Puppy Cam, and I would bolt out of bed and run to work so I could sit there with a cold can of the DC and watch puppies sniff eachothers bumbums.

1. Dlisted
It was Number 1 last year, and it's Number 1 this year too. Why? Because Michael K is easily the funniest person on the Innernets right now. I have found that many of his made-up words have worked their way into my daily lexicon. Words like no-no hole, do not want, this fuckery, quit this bitch. And besides - he was the only person to update on the Shiba Inu 6 more frequently than the damn live camera itself. Michael K, you are my Rojo Caliente.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?!?! www.alexdavey.ca didn't even get an honourable mention in the new website category? :(

The Mayor said...

No, it didn't. Because it's not about New Websites, its about my favourite websites. Dissssssssss.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...well Merry Christmas to you anyway Mr. Scrooge :)

Renee said...

If you are talking about the YA reviews on Jezebel, then I know what you are talking about, and that makes me feel good inside.

I was thinking of doing one of these for my blog a couple of months back, and you would have been on my list, but most of the people reading my blog are Mormon housewives, and I decided they don't deserve you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.