1.07.2009

My Newest Obsession

Well, good morning to you all. I don't know what you did last night, but I will tell you what I did. I was watching Waitress in my bed at 7pm (I know, I'm a fucking party animal) and when it was over I was too lazy to turn off the television, so I submitted to the TV gods (aka Joel McHale) and just decided to watch whatever was on. I caught the tail end of The Biggest Loser, which is always motivational and inspiring and bla bla bla. The show only gets good when they have been in the house for a few weeks and are going through such aggressive Dorito withdrawl that they would rip the head off a kitten.

Anyways, after that came Ruby. Now, I had heard of Ruby before, and I just brushed it off as typical Life network fatsploitation, like the amazing 2-hour special on the world's fattest man, Manuel Uribe. NOT SO!! The show is all about Ruby Gettinger, a 473-lb woman from Savannah, Georgia. So, right away, she has an incredible accent and a severe addiction to grits-n-gravy. She lives with her friend Jeff, a social worker, and her nephew Jim. Jim's story almost made me cry; he was like "my parents got a cat and I'm allergic to cats so I decided to move in with my Aunt Ruby". But while he's saying that, he might as well be wearing a shirt that says "My parents are 99% sure I'm a Homer and they politely asked me to move the fuck out". Anyways, he is a little prince - he drives Ruby everywhere and does anything for her.

But the main thing with Ruby is that she is happy. Like, really, actually happy. She is only trying to lose weight and get healthy because her doctor told her she was gonna die. So now she is trying to eat better and work out a little (not too much - she doesn't want to die from getting healthy). Also, on last night's episode, her bff from LA came to visit and it was...JESSICA WAKEFIELD!! Yes, one of her very very good friends is Brittany Daniel (who also played Brandy in Joe Dirt, amazing). Anyways, it was so cool because she wasn't fake; she legitimately loves Ruby (that, or she legitimately needs some screen time cause her career is like a stalled car). That's another thing - nobody patronizes Ruby! They all actually treat her normal and totally love her and she's just another one of the girls. Except...you know...she has the mass of 3 girls, but that is neither here nor there.

Click here to read all about the characters and whatnot, but seriously? Ruby on Tuesday nights at 10pm are definitely my new thing.

If you watched Ruby last night, leave your comments in the comments (doye). I skipped Law & Order: SVU in order to watch Ruby, so I am sort-of stinging that I didn't get my Det. Stabler fix this week. Ah wells. Anyone want to fill me in on what I missed?

1 comment:

Jenn L said...

law and order SVU was amazing!!!! stolen identities, sex dungeons, sister's killing their sister.

booya. you. missed. out.