3.16.2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Quite often I mention that I come from a Polish family. Well, that's only half true; while my Father's family is 100% Pure Polack, my Mother is an amalgam of a few different countries. A bit of German, a snick of British, some Irish. So it's around this time of year when my heart swells, I feel the need to whack some snakes, and my thirst for booze becomes insatiable. I celebrate in the usual ways: I always wear green (I don't want to get Leprechaun-bit), I drink a green beer (or 5), and I always like to make something sweet and green. This year I celebrated by making Limeprechaun Cupcakes. Even St. Patrick's Day isn't safe from holiday-related puns! You may think that lime-flavoured cake would be disgusting, but believe me - it's very refreshing and sweet. I like to keep the flavour light by using real limes and none of that janky-ass fake flavouring or shit that comes in a plastic fruit-shaped bottle. Also, by omitting vanilla, you have a citrus-base that doesn't compete with the strength of vanilla.

Limeprechaun Cupcakes1 package white cake mix
Eggs
Oil (I like safflower, but canola works nicely too)
3 fat limes
Prepare the cake as directed on the back. Typically it's 2-3 eggs, 1/3 cup of oil, 1/3 cup water, but I replace the water the the juice from the limes. Squeeze out as much as you can get from the limes and add enough water till you get the correct measurement.
Bake as directed.
Use adorable paper liners. I have chosen clover printed ones courtesy of my Mother.

1/4 stick of room-temperature butter
1 cup icing sugar
1-2 tbsp milk
The zest from 3 fat limes
Whip the butter and slowly add the powdered sugar. Once the mixture begins to form a paste, slowly add the milk (bit by bit). Once your buttercream has come together, add the lime zest. Spread over cooled cakes and add any flare you might like. I made hearts out of fondant, but you could also use green Skittles, sprinkles, rolled-up dollar bills, whatever you have lying around.

Now go get drunk on green beer! Scoot! Get outta here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good!

These ought to be corrupted into some sort of marijuana-containing cupcake, maybe just sub in chocolate but keep the icing and change the shamrock to a more appropriate leaf...