8.17.2010

My new favourite blog

Hey everyone! Okay, so summer at The Skip-raid is always pretty slow, and I can promise you more SUPER FUN POSTS that will merlest the crap out of your brain come September, but for now my life is the following:
1. Bikes
2. BLL (Bud Light Lime)
3. Wet Hot American Summer
4. Mint chocolate chip ice cream
5. Reading blogs
Also, can I mention for a second here? In October I will be heading out on a cross-country road trip all across 'Merica. 12 States! 9 Days! 10lb weight gain! And also Disney World, but I will talk about that later. For now, I'm here to chitter chat about the best blog I have read in a long-ass time.

Good people, I am pleased to introduce you to...

The Life and Times of Sarah Gall


Okay, here is what you need to know. Sarah is a recovering/still using/struggling drug addict who's one-day-at-a-time philosophy doesn't exactly...seem to be working. It's like every post follows the same pattern:

It's like reading an episode of A&E's Intervention. Now, before you go off on me for not calling Dr. Drew or forwarding her email the number of a good in-patient program, please do me a favour and read about 10 blog posts and you'll see that we're not dealing with someone who is on the brink of an overdose. It seems like she's just into weed (not a drug, but can become a crutch) and booze (actually really bad). Oh, and she is bipolar and has borderline personality disorder. Now, here is what gets me: as someone living with, and not ashamed of, Mental Illness, I for one am more pissed that she's medicating with psychotropics and not an SSRI, but that's just me. I hooked up with SSRIs more than 4 years ago and I feel it saved my life (not to get all sentimental on you) but really, in order to live a healthy life with MI, you need to either get on the drugs, get with a psychotherapist, or both. Medicating with booze and weed does nothing but fuck you up even more, and when you're going on 30, that's a very dangerous road to go down alone. Anyways, back to my original point.

Reading this blog is crazy because, while it feels like you're reading something written by Vince Gilligan for Jesse Pinkman, IT'S ACTUALLY REAL. So it's stupid funny, stupid sad, and stupid stupid; sometimes you want to reach through the monitor and scream "YOUR FRIENDS ARE FUCKING LOSERS AND THEY'RE USING YOU AND YOU'LL NEVER GET A JOB TILL YOU STOP SMOKING SO MUCH WEED!!!" It's pretty much like watching TV, except this is someone's life, and right now their life is kind of off the tracks.

I have spoken about drug use before on The Skip-raid, and I don't often get too deep, so if you can't handle me being this for a second, then stick around:

And yes, that is Coop in a bathrobe in the training montage of Wet Hot American Summer (you're welcome). Here's the thing with drug addiction; it's not just you. It's everyone around you. It's your boss and your landlord and your Memaw and your cat. It's the friends you had and the friends you now have, who you know shouldn't really be your friends anyways. And it sucks. And you only use more and more and before you know it, you're not yourself. You're not anyone you'd have ever been friends with. So I'm rooting for Sarah. Hell, I'm rooting for Lindsay Lohan. No one should feel like the only way out of addiction is death (because it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Oh wait, that's why prison is better than death. Shit. Nevermind. But it's a good analogy, right?) In her last blog post she mentions that she's finally ready to reserve a bed at Detox and work the bad shit out. I didn't know you could go to detox for booze and weed, but if you can, then go for it! Get clean and sober! But in the meantime, go back and read through her archives; I promise you it's like a D.A.R.E. program that actually works. The poor spelling, the erratic grammar usage, run-on sentences; it sort of makes you wonder why no one has intervened before. Oh wells, who cares? Start at the beginning and read all the way through - it's like a triumphant Hollywood movie, except that the ending hasn't been written yet. Let's hope the ending is good.

No comments: