12.30.2010

Best of 2010: The Internets!

Okay, it's that time again; I write about my favourite YouTube videos and internet memes. Note: I had to explain to people at work what a 'meme' was, and I had never felt like such an indoor-kid in my LIFE. Anyways, here are the internets that helped silence the voices in my head this year.



6. The Amazing Race: Watermelon Launch

Truth: I don't like The Amazing Race. Does anybody, really? It's a pretty boring show. All it is, week after week, is people freaking the fuck out all over the world about taxis being too slow or people on a farm in Kuuala Lumpoor not understanding them when they shout at them in American slang. Long (boring) story short, this video is BRUTAL. They hand to launch watermelons (why?) and one of them ricocheted back into the woman's face. WHAT?!?!?! How didn't she die?!?!



5. Leaked Chris Klein audition for
Mamma Mia!
Holy crap, I must have watched this 17 times. I don't know if this is fake or not, but even if it is, it's SO SAD.




4. Sunny D and Rum (Yum Yum)

I WANT THIS TO PLAY IN MY BRAIN FOREVER. Also, doesn't this look like Eric Wareheim dressed up as Carol?


3. Any Auto-Tune the News segment
Obviously. Ever since Jon Stewart started giving me the Ambiens, I had to turn to the Gregory Brothers to get my news. Wow, I sound like the laziest, most uninformed citizen in the world. The sads :(




2. Weird: The Al Yankovic Story
This is THE BEST Funny or Die video, but that's not saying much. Sadly, most Funny or Die stuff is a little...pedestrian. But this, and last year's The Ballad of GI Joe, were some of the best parody work I've seen in years. First Breaking Bad, and now playing Weird Al, it's safe to say that I would do anything to marry Aaron Paul (oh, and Patton Oswalt as Dr. Demento? Way too amazing).



1. Antoine Dodson and the rapist of Lincoln Park

Well, OBVIOUSLY, Antoine Dodson is number one. Can you name a bigger internet star this year? Antoine is bigger than Chocolate Rain, bigger than Keyboard Cat, bigger than Star Wars Kid (well, metaphorically-speaking). So, in case you've been living under a rock for the last 12 months, here is what you need to know:
- Antoine lives in a shitty ghetto in Alabama
- His sister was taking a nap upstairs with her daughter when a guy broke into her bedroom and tried to rape her
- Antoine runs upstairs after hearing the commotion and scares the perp off
- Antoine goes through a lineup of stupid questioning by local news teams
- Antoine is his amazing self, and the world falls in love with him
- The Gregory Brothers (from Autotune the News fame) make an amazing song using Antoine's sound-bytes. Here is the song:



Then, as if Antoine can't get any better, he shows up at the BET awards and does Bed Intruder live. And he NAILS IT.



Are you looking at this? They're not laughing at him; they're laughing WITH him. The best part about Antoine is that he used the money he made from the sales of Bed Intruder on iTunes and rented him and his sister a better place in Alabama. Antoine got outta tha ghetto! Finally, a YouTube video with a happy ending!

No comments: